Tuesday, November 06, 2007

thresh

I go to my seminar today and find out that a guy called Lyle Fong is presenting. He's talking about his company, Lithium, as one of a series of speakers talking about Software as a Service. He begins by giving some history, mentioning the fact that he and his brother used to be professional gamers. Seeing the oldskool PGL logo gave me instant flashbacks of high school. Lyle went on to talk about his brother who even won a Ferrari. I immediately raise my hand and ask, "Was that Thresh?" "Yes," he says. "Oh My God" I said, out loud, accidentally. Everyone in the room must've been looking at me like I was some kind of freak, but this was the brother of the guy who won John Carmack's Ferarri in the Red Annihilation tournament! I must've spent hours watching Quake demos from that tournament. Thresh's real name was Dennis Fong so it started making sense. Lyle was in the clan Death Row with him which was impressive in itself. I used to go play laser tag and use "Thresh" as my alias. This was a big day in my life.

Oh yeah, they're both serial entrepreneurs running multi-million dollar companies. Whatever.

Update: For Alex... the final game of said tournament on YouTube. Watching the demo in the actual game is way more enjoyable though.

3 comments:

Aamir said...

you are a dork

did you get his autograph?

cp said...

dude. thresh is the man. you are awesome now by association.

Anonymous said...

I could still kick your ass in q3